HHS English 4
email Mrs. Batson: firstname.lastname@example.org
July 26-30 in Mrs. Batson’s English IV Class…..
Essential questions: What are the class expectations? What rules should I know in order to excel on the ACT English and Reading? Why is public speaking important?
Monday, July 26
- BR: Are you a grammar guru? quiz- nearpod
- AS: student info form
- handbook overview (assigned pages)
- ACT English packet pages 1-7
- google classroom overview
- Closure: class expectations quiz (kahoot)
I can understand how the English ACT is formatted.
Tuesday, July 27
- BR: Think about It Thursday
- AS: intro to public speaking pre-test; discussion: why don’t we like public speaking?
- overview of introduction speech assignment
- watch first TED talk/ take notes
- closure: (TPS) What did you learn from the TED talk?
I can determine what makes a speaker effective..
Wednesday, July 28
- BR: review ACT English rules/ take quiz
- AS: review “How To Speak So That People Want to Listen”
- watch Amy Cuddy TED talk and take notes
- watch Chris Emdin’s TED talk and take notes
- Closure Exit Card: What is one way you can make yourself feel more confident?
I can describe how my nonverbals impact long and short term behavior.
Thursday, July 29
- BR: Think about it Thursday: commonly confused words
- AS: intro speech expectations/ review TED talks/ When might we have to speak to a crowd?
- watch final TED talk and take notes
- complete TED packet
- review rubric/ outline: intro speeches
- work on speech (due Monday)
- Closure- Think, Pair, Share
I can describe the characteristics of effective speech structures.
Friday, July 30
- BR: Reading ACT overview and quiz
- AS: What to do/ What not to do when public speaking (student charades)
- work on outline for introduction speeches
- begin practicing introduction speeches
- closure: tell your table partner about your speech--
I can prepare an introduction speech.